Monday 31 December 2007

Web X.0?

I'm getting confused!Before starting this course I thought Web2.0 consists of little more than MySpace, YouTube, Blogger, Wikipedia and maybe del.icio.us.And now - it's mayhem. Never in my wildest dreams did I expect to come across so many apps which more or less do the same things which the tools above do - with a few extra bells and whistles or possibly with a slightly more amenable interface.I take the view that we are in the midst of what marketing experts would call the 'bowling alley' where developers try to capture the market as early as possible to succeed. With so many tools on offer only a few experts will be able to make rational decisions on their respective performances and features.Who's going to pick the winners? And who will be the winners - the VHSs of this world or the Betamax's?It all reminds me a bit of the dotcom bubble of the late 1990s and its overdue correction in 2000. If any evidence was needed look no further than today's headline (25/10) that good old MS has paid 240 Millionen Dollar to Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg for a 1,6 percent stake in his company, making this enterprise more valuable than most household companies in the UK, trading for tens of years.I think I need to take a deep breath, lean back and let the dust settle - as these are mad times indeed; may the correction come soon.

No comments: