Saturday 4 October 2008

Learning Challenge - The choice

Initially numerous activities went through my head: what can it be: kite flying, cooking course, pottery, ....
After some reflection it occured to me that the Learning Challenge had to be rooted in one's life interests, in order to remain within a reasonable comfort zone of learning, and to ensure that there is a reasonable chance of attainment, and as an added bonus an element of fun.

Searching and reflecting on my existing skills one aspect clearly stood out - my existing sense of rhythm. I have been playing the African Djembe drum for about three years now and found it both relaxing and refreshing. Maybe something around that theme may be fit the bill.
Reflecting further I remembered that during my recent stay at a 5 day World Music festival where participatory workshops were offered I attended (in addition to the usual Djembe drumming classes) a Samba music workshop where we were able to explore a number of different instruments. The rhythms felt good but I noticed that I was not really able to move my body i tune with the beat something which annoyed me as it held me back to completely 'loosen up' during the sessions.
That clearly needed some attention but then I remembered that it was more than 30 years ago that I had my last formal dance lessons and my memories of that were not entirely positive.
So there was my comfort zone barrier which would in another circumstace most likely have prohibited me from engaging in this learning activity. But this is different and after all it is meant to be a Challenge so let's rise to it.
And the idea was borne: why not attempting to have a go at some Latin dancing, Samba or anything related.
The rest was easy - exploring the local Yellow Pages on the Web identified a suitably local venue offering 'Salsa for Beginners'. That sure had to be it - and isn't the music just fantastic (see below).



No comments: